The Luke Williams Charitable Trust
Luke was our friend. Everybody who knew him is honoured to be able to say that, and if you had met Luke then no doubt you were his friend because he would have welcomed you with open arms, asked if there was anything he could do for you and if requested or not would have probably sang you a song.
Luke was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth on his 28th birthday in June 2013 and underwent major surgery along with intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy. It was hoped the worst was behind him. Sadly, secondary cancer was identified in his lungs a year later and another intensive course of chemotherapy was unsuccessful. Before his passing, on the 9th of October 2014, Luke intended to do what he did best, have fun and spread joy to others.
. . . Luke intended to do what he did best, have fun and spread joy to others . . .
The Luke Williams Charitable Trust was formed during Luke’s battle with cancer. Originally to fund some of the things on Luke’s ‘bucket list’, including Hot Air Ballooning, visits to his beloved Liverpool FC and marrying his true love, Linda. As the funding rolled in Luke wanted much of the money raised to go to charity and elected the Pilgrims Hospice and Cancer Research UK as two charities to benefit from this initial wave of fundraising £26,000 was donated to Pilgrim’s Hospice and £2,500 to Cancer Research UK in 2014.
Since Luke’s passing on the 9th of October 2014, The Luke Williams Charitable Trust has continued to raise money for good causes with close links to the Pilgrims Hospices and Caring for Connor in 2016. The formation of the Luke Williams Charitable Trust will enable us to broaden the charitable goals we support and further benefit our local community.
We feel privileged at The Luke Williams Charitable Trust to be able to help those that need helping and to do it bearing our friends name, Luke Williams.
- Who are we?
- We are the friends and family of Luke Williams, committed to supporting worthy charities in the local area.
- What do we do?
- What we do?
- We help raise funds for our flagship charity Pilgrims Hospice, along with various others, whilst bringing together the local community in fun and active ways.
- How do we do it?
- Our main fund raising comes from our events. 2017 will see more events than ever, including the Luke’s Legacy Charity Gala and Dog Walk as part of our annual Williams Weekender, the Luke Williams Cup, Golf Invitational and Margate Carnival.
About the charities
- Pilgrim’s Hospice
- We are very proud to have the Pilgrim’s Hospice as our flagship charity and will continue to support their extraordinary work providing care for individuals and their families with life-limiting illnesses.
- Cancer Research
- Our secondary charity in 2014, who aim to identify causes and develop strategies for prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure cancer.
- Caring for Connor
- 2016 saw funds raised for this remarkable local charity helping to fight Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD).